Thursday, January 27, 2022

Changing of the guard at the SUPREME COURT

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer has announced his retirement, at the end of the 2021-22 Season.  (A side note: he's been serving since August 1994... so he got the gig a month before I started my last paying job at Boise Cascade.)  A primary factor in his decision was certainly to make way for a Democratic appointee to take his place.  A year from now it's possible, if not likely, that the Democrats will no longer control the Senate, which gets to say "aye" or "nay."

Sniffy Joe (Biden - our president) has laid out his criteria for choosing a successor.  "While I've been studying candidates' backgrounds and writings, I've made no decision except one: the person I will nominate will be some of the extraordinary qualifications, character, experience and integrity.  And that person will be the first black woman ever nominated to the United States Supreme Court. It's long overdue in my view. I made that commitment during the campaign for president."

Excuse me... but isn't that criteria somewhat RACIST and SEXIST?  Maybe someday "the dream" will come true - when people are judged not on the color of their skin, but rather the content of their character.

How about if the candidate is a white guy who "identifies" as a black woman?  (You think I'm just being silly... right?  Well, I am.  But in our current Silly Society, for many people that may be a valid question!)

I hope he finds a supremely-qualified black woman!  That would be awesome!  A female "Clarence Thomas type," who exercises her duty with quiet dignity, and bases her decisions on the intentions of our founding fathers, rather than on her personal ideology or agenda... that's who I would approve of.

No comments: